Installing Skype for Business on Windows: A Step-by-Step Guide
Skype for Business lets you connect with co-workers or business partners in your company or around the world. It looks and feels like Skype, but has added productivity features that help run your business efficiently, like seeing when someone is available, in a meeting, or presenting, providing industrial strength security for calls, or broadcasting a meeting online to a large audience.
Skype for Business is part of the Office 365 suite of products. You get the Skype for Business download from the Office 365 portal, and then install it on your computer. These steps usually take 10-15 minutes to do.
At the top of your Office 365 page, choose > Office 365
If you see the following page, choose Skype for Business, choose your language, the edition that matches your other Office applications (32 bit or 64 bit – if you don’t know, choose the default) and choose Install. Then go to step 5.
- If Skype for Business is bundled with other Office 365 applications, you’ll see the following page. Choose Install to install the Office 365 suite of applications, including Skype for Business. When you’re done, go to Sign in for the first time at the end of these steps.
- If you don’t see Skype for Business listed at all, then it’s not included in your Office 365 business plan -OR- your admin hasn’t assigned a license to you. Ask your admin (the person who gave you sign-in information) or contact our expert at MDS for help.
At the bottom of your screen, choose Save as to download the setupskypeforbusinessentryretail.exe file to your computer.
Important: Note where you saved the setupskypeforbusinessentryretail.exe file on your computer. If Skype for Business stops during setup, this is where you go to re-run it.
After the setupskypeforbusinessentryretail.exe file has downloaded, choose Run.
The Office installer starts, and displays a message that it’s installing Office. However, it’s only installing Skype for Business. It is not installing all of Office.
When the Office installer is finished, it displays a message that Office was installed on your computer. However, only Skype for Business was installed. Choose Close
Launch Skype for Business. At the First things first box, if you accept the licensing agreement, choose Accept.
You can install Skype for Business on up to 5 PCs. To install Skype for Business on another PC:
1. Log on to your next PC.
2. Sign in to Office 365 at https://portal.office.com/.
3. Repeat the steps listed in the above procedure to download and install Skype for Business.
Congratulations! You’re done installing Skype for Business. Now you’re ready to sign in to Skype for Business for the first time.
- 1. At the Skype for Business sign in page, enter your Office 365 user ID and password, and then choose Sign In.
- 2. For example, if you use firstname.lastname@example.org to sign in to Office 365, that’s what you’ll enter to sign in to Skype for Business.
- 3. Enter your password for Office 365.
4. At the next page, if you want to save your password for signing in next time, choose Yes.
- 5. At the Help Make Skype for Business Better box, choose whether to allow us to collect error logs and device configuration info.
Congratulations! Now you’re ready to get started using Skype for Business for IM and online meetings.